Councilman Mitchell Englander, chair of the public safety committee, submitted the motion during the council's morning meeting.
Spice has become popular among the homeless population on Skid Row. On Aug. 19, 50 people were evaluated after falling ill from the drug and 38 were hospitalized. A similar incident happened Monday with 18 people overdosing on the drug.
Officials called the rise of spice overdoses during the summer a public health crisis and said a team effort would be needed to come up with a solution.
The Los Angeles County Department of Public Health also issued a warning against the use of spice, saying it is extremely harmful and it is unclear what exactly is in the synthetic strain of pot.
The drug is commonly referred to as spice, but can also be known as sexy monkey, black mamba and twilight, according to the health department.